I am so excited to share today’s post with you- mostly because I believe a lot of you may have the same mentality towards exercising that I do, and well the mentality that a majority of people have towards exercising. I dread it. I do it because it is necessary, but it is a mental fight every single day. I have tried just about everything- cycling, a personal trainer, running, yoga, Kayla Itsines… you name it, I’ve tried it! I never really found the experience that some say had them “addicted to working out,” and I can only image my dramatic eye roll every time I have heard someone say that. Honestly, I was starting to convince myself that this whole working out thing was just not for me. Then, Pure Barre Edmond came to town!
The past few months I have been dealing with severe back and hip pain- like really severe. I am not entirely sure of the direct cause, but my doctors believe that it stemmed from running. Sadly, running was one of the only things that I actually did not completely dread when it came to the working out department. In order to give my body a break, I was advised not to do anything exercises that were considered high impact. So, it was perfect timing when Pure Barre opened in May, just a few miles from me. I thought I definitely needed to add it to my list of workout classes that I had tried! Being the “Type A” person that I am, I began researching about the methods, benefits, and techniques of Pure Barre! And, after just one class, I was hooked! I have been 4 days a week ever since! I could sing praises of Pure Barre Edmond, all day long! For all of my fellow “Type A” readers, I am going to share with you 5 things that I have learned and personally experienced regarding the benefits and techniques during my first month of Pure Barre!
- You do not have to have any dance experience, or any experience at all: This may be common knowledge to most, and I am just completely oblivious, however I was thinking “barre, hmmm, I wonder if I need ballet experience.” Thankfully, that is not the case at all! The first class, I will admit I was a little lost. However, there is a flow to class and after your first or second session you totally get the hang of it! The instructor also goes around during the entire class to ensure that moves are being performed correctly.
- “Hard on Muscles, Kind on Joints:” Because of my recent injury, this was the biggest benefit of Pure Barre for me personally. It works each muscle group and helps to “reduce pressure on your joints, tendons, ligaments and spine.” I read that sentence during my research and I was sold-sign me up! It has held true. For the first time in a long time, I am able to exercise without pain!
- Rapid Increase In Flexibility and Strength: For me, this has show a lot through my posture. I believe that my terrible lack of posture, and sitting at a desk all day has created some of the strain on my back. Heading to Pure Barre most days after work has been incredible- and I am already able to notice a difference! Having strength and flexibility also aids in preventing you from further injuries!
- Modification: This was very important for me- especially being out of “the game” for two months. When I first started (and still to this day), every push up was spent on my knees. Every class is filled with clients of all ages, sizes, shapes, & level of experience, many whom have injuries and can find a safe, but effective workout in Pure Barre. Throughout the class, the instructors give suggestions for modifications and also adjustments for those wanting more of an advanced workout.
- “Embrace the shake” or, working your muscles to complete exhaustion. The tiny pulses, multiple reps, and isometric holds are techniques Pure Barre uses to break down your muscles. When you “embrace the shake” your muscles are entering a state of fatigue, thereby strengthening & toning them followed by stretching.
If you have any questions at all, or want to join me for a class- please do not hesitate to send me an email! You can sign up for classes and view their entire schedule here – purebarre.com/ok-edmond! Pure Barre is also launching their first week free trial for all new and local clients, beginning July 6th! Give the first week a try, and I promise you will be hooked just like I was! Thank you Pure Barre-Edmond for sponsoring today’s post, providing me with the cutest apparel, and introducing me to my new favorite workout! As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
1380 W. Covell Road, Suite #108
Edmond, Oklahoma 73003